Speech Sound Disorder
Abnormal brain development or damage at an early age can lead to neurodevelopmental disorders. Within this group of disorders, some are resolvable with appropriate and timely interventions, either pharmacological or nonpharmacological, while other disorders are chronic and need to be managed throughout the lifespan.
· Your Instructor will assign you to a specific neurodevelopmental disorder from the DSM-5-TR.
“Speech sound disorder”
· Research your assigned disorder. Then, develop an organizational scheme for the important information about the disorder.
The Assignment – Instructions
· Create a study guide for your assigned disorder. – Please review PDF “creating studying guides”
Study guide should be in the form of an outline with references, and you should incorporate visual elements such as concept maps, charts, diagrams, images, color coding, mnemonics, and/or flashcards. Be creative! It should not be in the format of an APA paper.
· Your guide should be informed by the DSM-5-TR but also supported by at least four other scholarly resources.
Areas of importance you should address, but are not limited to, are:
· Signs and symptoms according to the DSM-5-TR
· Differential diagnoses
· Development and course
· Considerations related to culture, gender, age
· Pharmacological treatments, including any side effects
· Nonpharmacological treatments
· Diagnostics and labs
· Legal and ethical considerations
· Pertinent patient education considerations
**At least four other scholarly resources along with the DSM-5-TR**
** Please review the neurodevelopmental disorder from the DSM-5-TR** – see PDF attachment**
References: DSM-5 – Pages 31-33 and 44-45
(American Psychological Assoc.)
Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. [electronic resource] : DSM-5 (5th ed.). (2013). American Psychiatric Association.