GEA Business Law Research
Instructions for #GEA1:
The concept of judicial review was pioneered by the United States. Some maintain that one of the reasons the doctrine was readily accepted in this country was that it fit well with the checks and balances designed by the founders. Today, all established constitutional democracies have some form of judicial reviewthe power to rule on the constitutionality of lawsbut its form varies from country to country.
For example, Canadas Supreme Court can exercise judicial review but is barred from doing so if a law includes a provision explicitly prohibiting such review. France has a Constitutional Council that rules on the constitutionality of laws before the laws take effect. Laws can be referred to the council for prior review by the president, the prime minister, and the heads of the two chambers of parliament. Prior review is also an option in Germany and Italy, if requested by the national or a regional government. In contrast, the United States Supreme Court does not give advisory opinions; the Supreme Court will render a decision only when there is an actual dispute concerning an issue.
(1) Research judicial review in either: (1) the countries mentioned above or (2) any other country (Switzerland, Australia, Japan).
(2) In a minimum 250-word post, please:
(a) describe the laws/statutes/rules/court cases governing judicial review of the country you chose;
(b) describe the judicial review process;
(c) from the country you researched, can you find an example of judicial review protecting human rights? (If not, please find an example from another country – an example of the United States is fine); and
(d) propose at least one action (that is not already in place) that the country can take to better promote human rights.
1. Please use reliable and credible search engines (please do not use Wikipedia).
2. This website has great information on research skills: http://lib.usfsp.edu/sb.php?subject_id=136086 (Links to an external site.).
3. I suggest using either Westlaw or Lexis-Nexis which can be found under Databases once you log into the USF Library network.
4. Don’t hesitate to ask a Librarian for assistance!
1. You may use the APA, MLA or Turabian format. For information on how to cite your research, please visit this website: https://lib.usfsp.edu/Citations (Links to an external site.).
2. Please put your citations into your assignment. The citations do not count towards the word count.