The Effect of Prison Visitation on Reentry Success Article Reviews
Assignment Week 6: Quantitative Article Reviews
Select two articles from the list below and in 1-2 pages single-spaced (per article) address the following:
- Include the full reference for the article using the writing style specific to your program on the title page.
- Criminal Justice = APA
- International Relations, National Security, Military Studies, and Intelligence Studies = Turabian.
- Since multiple writing styles are in use within this course, on your title page, please note which style you are using within your assignment. This will help me cater my comments to the style you are using. The style you use need to be the one that is used within your program of study.
- State the main goal(s) of the study. Tell me what the research question was.
- Summarize the research design, and discuss the research method(s) used to answer the research question or assess the hypothesis. (Tell me what the variables/hypothesis/research method was.)
- Summarize the results of the study.
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the study’s research design.
- Provide a discussion on how the study can be moved forward. For example, how can the methods be used in your own research proposal? In what other research might these methods apply? Include two well phrased research questions that could be used in follow-on studies to the one reviewed.
Format: You should have 1-inch margins on all 4 sides of your papers; your title page should include your name and date; you should use 12-point times new roman font throughout.
Things to keep in mind:
Avoid using the first person in formal writing and instead write with an academic voice throughout. Academic voice is usually written in the third person (he, she, it), not first person (I, we) or second person (you). Be consistent in voice and person. See Grammar Girl, “First, Second, and Third Person,” Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing, January 20, 2011, http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/first-second-and-third-person.aspx/. Furthermore, the academic voice avoids abbreviations, contractions, jargon, and slang. Even informal academic discussions are more formal than causal chat among friends.
The body of your work should be made up of no more than 20% of direct quotes.
As you proof read your assignment I encourage you to work with Belcher, Wendy Laura. 2009. “Editing Your Sentences” In Writing Your Journal Article in 12 Weeks: A Guide to Academic Publishing Success. Sage. This resource has a nice step by step process for enhancing your writing.
Upload your completed assignment to W6 Assignment using the filename: yourlastnameW6.doc.
Note: In the case of a broken link each of these articles can be found either within the APUS online library or on the open web.