Effect of a Market Orientation on Business Profitability Paper
The primary learning objective in module 1 is to describe specific frameworks and philosophies relevant to marketing strategy and organizational performance.
Purpose of the assignment:
This assignment is designed to improve your ability to use specific frameworks and philosophies to describe how marketing strategy can impact organizational performance.
Many studies in education indicate that reflection is an effective part of learning. The purpose of this writing assignment is to give you a guided approach for reflecting on the required readings for Module 1.
Assignment Due Date: Monday, May 17, 11:00 PM Central Time.
What to do: Provide answers to each of these questions and tasks.
1. Market orientation (2 parts):
(a) According to the assigned reading, “The Effect of a Market Orientation on Business Profitability”, what are the 3 behavioral components and the 2 decision criteria in a marketing orientation? (for this question, it is acceptable to list each of these things without providing explanations for each one.)
(b) Select a company that you think is market oriented, and provide a clear example of how its actions reflect at least 2 of the 3 behavioral components (be sure to explicitly state the 2 components in your answer) and each of the 2 decision criteria that are part of a market orientation.
2. Value disciplines:
Think about the company with which you currently work or one in which you want to have a career. What “value discipline” do you think this organization should pursue (or is currently pursuing) in order to create a sustainable competitive advantage its industry? As part of your answer, clearly define the value discipline you select and give an explanation as to why you selected this discipline for this company. (Note: you should select 1 of the 3 “value disciplines” identified in the assigned reading, “Customer Intimacy and Other Value Disciplines”).
3. Theory of the firm (2 parts):
(a) Clearly explain any one of the theories of the firm that are mentioned in the “Theory of the Firm” section of the assigned reading, “Developing a Customer Value-Based Theory of the Firm.” (be sure to identify the specific theory you are explaining)
(b) What are at least two specific ways a customer value-based theory of the firm differs from the theory you explain in part (a)?
NOTE: The Module 1 lecture video may help your thinking about each of these questions, but watching the video is not a replacement for reading the specified assigned articles.
- Please provide all of your answers in Word or a program that easily be opened using Word.
- Please include the respective number and question before each of your responses.
- You may use bullet points, graphs, figures, tables, etc. to communicate your response.
- There is no page limit or specified minimum. Of course, submitted work should clearly validate that the appropriate assigned material was read and is being applied correctly in each answer.
- Please remember, this assignment is designed to help you learn by providing a guided reflection and application of the required material.
- If you quote or borrow from other people’s work you should cite the original source (e.g., cite the articles when you quote them, identify websites where you get information if you are describing the actions of a specific company, etc.) You may use any citation format you prefer, but please cite sources your reference in your work.
Grades will be assigned using the criteria set out in the Writing Assignment 1 Rubric (next page).
Submitting your Work:
Please submit your work by clicking on the “Writing Assignment 1” title in Module 1 on our class’s Blackboard site.