Evaluating nutritional status
NR449 Evidence-Based Practice
Skills Module: Nutrition
To encourage critical thinking, problem solving, and collaboration through the use of evidence-based practice studies.
Course outcomes: This assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes. CO 1: Examine the sources of knowledge that contribute to professional nursing practice. (PO 7)
CO 2: Apply research principles to the interpretation of the content of published research studies. (POs 4 and 8) CO 3: Identify ethical issues common to research involving human subjects. (PO 6)
CO 4: Evaluate published nursing research for credibility and clinical significance related to evidence-based practice. (POs 4 and 8)
CO 5: Recognize the role of research findings in evidence-based practice. (POs 7 and 8)
Due date: Your faculty member will inform you when this assignment is due. The Late Assignment Policy applies to this assignment.
Total points possible: 150 points
Preparing the assignment
Follow these guidelines when completing this assignment. Speak with your faculty member if you have questions.
1. Computer with internet access.
2. Recommend using Firefox browser and clearing your cookies and cache if you are accessing ATI on laptop or desktop computer.
3. Log into ATI, “My ATI”, and select the “Apply” tab. Click on Skills Module 3.0 and title “Nutrition.” Click on
the “Begin Lesson” tab. Open the “Evidence-Based Research” tab on the left side.
4. There is one (1) study under the Evidence-Based Practice tab. You may review the entire module, but this is not a priority for this assignment. Other main topics and accompanying studies are listed in the table below.
5. Choose one of the main topics from the table and then choose one (1) article for review under that main topic.
Read the article chosen and answer one (1) of the topic questions listed below.
· What methods can be used to assess nutritional status?
· What methods can be used to identify those at risk for malnutrition?
· What specific health conditions increase the risk of malnutrition?
· What associations exist between nutritional status and health outcomes?
· What type of interventions improve adherence to recommendations on nutritional intake?
Create a 2-3 page summary which supports the topic question. Provide a current research article (less than 5 years). The 2-3 page limit does not include title and reference pages.
6. The Summary must include the following headings (see rubric for criteria under each heading):
a. Introduction and Key Points (10 Points)
· Choose one of the assigned topics and identifies one of the questions
· Defines the topic and question
· States why it is a problem
· Information presented in logical sequence
b. Article Search (25 Points)
· Current (less than 5 years) and credible resource
· Database search – terms and methods used
· Number of articles located
· Source outside of ATI module used
c. Article Findings (25 Points)
· How it addresses the topic
· Type of research conducted
· Findings of research
· Why this article was chosen
d. Evidence for Practice (25 Points)
· Summary of evidence
· How it will improve practice
· How this evidence will decrease a gap to practice
· Any concerns or weaknesses located in the evidence
e. Sharing of Evidence (25 Points)
· Who would you share the information with?
· How would you share this information?
· What resources would you need to accomplish this sharing of evidence?
· Why would it be important to share this evidence with the nursing profession?
f. Conclusion (20 Points)
· Summarizes the theme of the paper
· Information presented in logical sequence
· All key points addressed
· Conclusion shows depth of understanding of topic
g. APA Style (10 Points)
· APA style used properly for citations
· APA style used properly for references
· APA style used properly for quotations
· All references are cited, and all citations have references
*NOTE: Must adhere to current APA guidelines and formatting.
h. Writing Mechanics (10 Points)
· No spelling errors
· No grammatical errors, including verb tense and word usage
· No writing errors, including sentence structure, and formatting
· Must be all original work
7. Your instructor will provide guidance on the best way to submit this assignment.
For writing assistance (APA, formatting, or grammar), visit the APA Citation and Writing page in the online library.
( NR449 Evidence-Based Practice Skills Module: Nutrition, Feeding, & Eating Guidelines )
Please note that your instructor may provide you with additional assessments in any form to determine that you fully understand the concepts learned in the review module.
( NR449_Skills_Modu le_Nutrition March21 Revised ) ( 2 )