Discuss the concept of victim impact statements and the impact that they have on victims
Each of your answers should be written using your own words. Do not copy and paste from your textbook or an Internet source. Simply copying from the book word-for-word does not show me that you understand the concepts. Ensure you cite your work and add reference(s) at the end of your journal. This assignment is designed to see if you are reading and understanding the material from your textbook and attached PDFs, so these should be the sources you are citing in your work. You should not need to do research from additional resources unless the question specifically asks you to do so; you should not be Googling the answers for these questions.
Please review the APA module under the “Getting Started” area if you need assistance. As a criminal justice professional, it is imperative that you learn the finer aspects of writing. Citing and referencing are part of the gradable criteria for your weekly work.
All questions are worth 20 points:
1. Discuss the concept of victim impact statements and the impact that they have on victims, as well as, the defendant.
2. Discuss the health (physical and psychological), medical, economic and criminal justice costs associated with crime. Be sure to cover tangible and intangible costs, as well as costs shouldered by victims, the criminal justice system and third parties. Include in your answer the concept of double victimization and the impact it has on victims.
3. Explain the challenges associated with reporting data to crime databases (such as the UCR, NIBRS, or the NCVS) experienced by victims, witnesses and police. Make sure to include police-related factors that may affect reported crime rates. Explain the challenges associated with the accuracy of victim responses to victimization surveys.
4. Which victimology theory or theories do you believe most accurately describes the way in which individuals experience victimization? Justify your answer by identifying advantages and/or disadvantages of theories used in your argument.
5. Should the concept of victim precipitation have bearing in court as a basis for a reduced charge?
Journal Assignment Grading:
Each assignment is given equal weight out of 100 points. Each question is worth 20 points. If a question is not answered, no points will be received for that response. Each question is weighted equally.
Please post all answers as an attachment in a Microsoft Word document or a Rich Text Format file