Communication Analysis Essay And Discussion Assignment
Reference: Chapters 1 – 6
SELECT a topic from the sample choices. Read and analyze. Using your textbook for support!
FORMAT with the following WRITING GUIDELINES:
1. Typed 12 point font, Times New Roman
1. Double spaced, page length will vary (approximately 3-4)
1. Stapled upper left-hand corner
1. Information used from our textbook or outside sources should be noted in-text in APA or MLA format along with either a Reference or Works Cited page.
1. If you use a direct quote, place quotation marks and in-text cite.
1. If you summarize someone’s knowledge and use your own words, and in-text cite it.
1. If you are in doubt, cite it!!!!!
1. Remember the 80/20 rule: 80% of your essay response should always be your thoughts/words and 20% directly quoted. BUT REMEMBER, JUST BECAUSE YOU PUT IT IN YOUR OWN WORDS DOES NOT MEAN IT IS YOURS. YOU MUST GIVE CREDIT FOR THE IDEA! Cite, cite, cite, cite, cite!
1. OWL PURDUE WRITING LAB is a wonderful resource and reminder of these tips and more. Check it out!
1. Visit the ECU Writing Center for help with sources, organization and error check. If you are unsure about using sources correctly, seek help! Plagiarism is unacceptable.
ON DUE DATE:
1. Upload your Communication Essay to Safe Assign on Blackboard link provided before class. Prepare to discuss/present a brief 3-4 minute oral summary of your essay utilizing your essay as a reference before a small group of your classmates.
Your grade on this assignment will be based on your written and discussion response as follows:
1. Adherence to WRITING GUIDELINES
2. Style: grammar/punctuation/readability
3. Organization/ Supporting examples and terminology utilized from the textbook for support
4. Presentation individual summary-group discussion; Active participant/listener- group discussion
SELECT ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
Email and text messages are not always the most appropriate channel for a particular message. Think of a specific instance in your life where you used IM or e-mail and the message sent was not the message received.
· First, describe the kinds of problems caused by selecting this channel of communication? Could these problems been prevented by using a different channel for sending the message? Make sure to use the communication model and its variables in illustrating the situation.
· You may also utilize other specific examples of co-workers or fellow students to supplement your discussion. Interviewing subjects can add a great deal of support.
· Explain the types of messages you think are not appropriate for sending via e-mail or text message? Explain situations in which you believe it would be beneficial to send the message via e-mail or text message? Explain your response with examples.
· Finally, locate an article about sending and receiving email/text messages. Summarize the article and attach the original copy of the article to your essay.
Managing cultural differences in the workplace can be challenging. Your task is to explore the difficulty of managing cultural differences in the workplace by reading an article on this topic. If you have difficulty locating an article, contact an ECU librarian for assistance. After reading your selected article, answer the following questions:
· Give a brief overview of the article you read. Make sure to highlight any new beneficial principles/terminology used by this author or reference information from our textbook.
· What advice did you gain from this article? If not, why?
· Describe a current workplace or classroom situation in which you have witnessed cultural differences as challenged. In your opinion, how could this situation be modified?
· Attach a copy of the article you utilized to the final copy of your essay.
Violence in the workplace has a lot to do with a negative communication climate and poorly managed conflicts. Conflict management and a positive relationship climate can benefit both the employee and client.
· Locate a current article on conflict management. Summarize the article.
· Next, describe experiences you have had or witnessed in a current negative working climate (this could be a workplace or even school) that deals poorly with conflicts. You can change the names to protect the innocent. Make sure to include examples of situations for support. Make sure to utilize our textbook terminology to supplement your discussion.
· Second, explain how this negative working climate could be improved. Locate three websites that could be utilized by the organization for help in dealing with conflict management. Briefly explain what each site offers.
· Make sure to attach a copy of the article to your final copy of your essay.
Explore the working-world of adults with Autism, Asperger Syndrome, and ADHD.
· First, explain each of these particular disorders. Locate one article discussing either Autism, Asperger Syndrome, or ADHD in the workplace. Summarize this article.
· Make sure to attach the article to your final essay.
· Discuss: What challenges do employees and supervisors face in accommodating and providing positive work climates for these workers? What are the benefits of employing and working with Autistic, Asperger, or ADHD co-workers? Describe any personal experiences you have had or someone you know. How has researching this particular subject changed your current/ past viewpoint and/or judgment of these employees?
Locate a recent article exploring the impact of language and social media creating negative effects on companies or individual employees. OR locate a recent article exploring the impact of an individual’s behavior destroying a company’s image on social media.
· First, summarize the article and explain the situation(s).
· Discussion options: What responsibility do employers have to ensure that their employees create a positive impact on their organization’s public profile? What policies should be adopted regarding employee social media use and behavior? What rights should employees have? Should there be a universal business policy regarding all employee behavior on social media and publicly throughout the United States? Feel free to pose and offer other observations or questions for discussion.
· If you use a direct quote, place quotation marks and in-text cite.
· If you summarize someone’s knowledge and use your own words, and in-text cite it.
· If you are in doubt, cite it!!!!!
· If you don’t know how to cite it, go to the Writing Center!
· If you don’t know how to create a Reference or Works Cited page with all your sources you used, go to the Writing Center!
· Remember the 80/20 rule: 80% of your essay response should always be your thoughts/words and 20% directly quoted. BUT REMEMBER, JUST BECAUSE YOU PUT IT IN YOUR OWN WORDS DOES NOT MEAN IT IS YOURS. YOU MUST GIVE CREDIT FOR THE IDEA! Cite, cite, cite, cite, cite!
· OWL PURDUE WRITING LAB is a wonderful resource and reminder of these tips and more. Check it out!