- AHIMA, “Security Audits of Electronic Health Information (Updated).” Journal of AHIMA 82, no. 3 (March 2011): 46-50.
After reading the article, review the sections on Technical Safeguards, including Access Control and Audit Controls in this module’s reading assignment. The author states that audit controls are “‘hardware, software, and /or procedural mechanisms that record and examine activity in information systems.’ Most information systems provide some level of audit controls and audit reports. These are useful, especially when determining if a security violation occurred” (Gartee, p. 404).
Next, review the information presented in the table. This data was pulled to view a general login and logout pattern in the EHR for hospital staff on the morning listed (01/05/16). These are descriptions of these staff members’ positions.
- Joann Ward is a nurse who works in the general surgery floor.
- Steven Williams is a registration clerk who works in the radiology department.
- Lee Worley is a health information clerk who processes requests for records from other healthcare providers and facilities.
- Mary Smith is a nurse who works in the labor and delivery unit.
This space is for the file that i uploaded.
Given this information, answer the following questions:
- What kinds of staff members accessed Patient Gary Stanford’s visit? Indicate their roles.
- What kinds of staff members accessed Patient Mai Ngyen’s visit? Indicate their roles.
- Do the staff members’ logins seem appropriate?
- Is there anything you would question on this audit log?
Your response to this audit should be a one-two page document (four-five paragraphs) to provide a complete response to the audit results based on each of the roles.